Wednesday 10 April 2013

Celtic Warrior: The Legend of Cú Chulainn

Last week, O'Brien Press released Will Sliney's graphic novel "CELTIC WARRIOR: The Legend of Cú Chulainn", telling the legendary tale of the eponymous hero and his battle with Queen Maeve's army, intent on conquering Ulster.

Artwork by Will Sliney

While I haven't had the pleasure of reading the book yet (waiting on a few payments coming though, the anthem of the freelancer...), I've read some glowing reviews and been perving on the artwork on the official Facebook page, and I'm looking forward to ordering a copy very soon.  In the meantime, however, I set to work on some fan art for the book, inspired by the imagery created by Sliney (and not initially beloved by the WWE's own Celtic Warrior, Seamus), after he tweeted the following cryptic statement:


Challenge accepted, Mr Sliney!


First things first, as usual, is getting an idea for the piece: I knew I wanted a dynamic action shot of Cú Chulainn in the proper comic book style.  It wasn't long before I settled on the idea of him leaping towards us in a kind of "Superman Punch" pose and screaming his head off; I wanted it to be a bit of an insane, heat-of-the-battle moment.

Roughing out some ideas

As can be seen above, I also wanted to have something ornate or decorative in the background of the picture.  I had envisioned a framing device, kind of like those seen in a lot of Jim Fitzpatrick's work.  Unfortunately the deadline for submissions, coupled with the few other jobs I have on, wouldn't allow me the time to plan something as intricate as some pattern work.  Maybe another time...

Anyway, with the framework idea jettisoned, I was free to draw, ink and colour the big man himself.  Which I did over a couple of nights this past weekend.
Completed pencils

Final inks

Break down of the colouring, just to make it look technical... like they do with sciency stuff in movies.
Colouring's still something I struggle with.  I've been reading up on the process, mostly referring to the iPad book "How to Pain Comic Books with the iPad" which, while I don't actually own an iPad (have to steal my girlfriend's iPad Mini when I want to study up) or have any intentions to ever use one for painting comics, is a really helpful tool nonetheless.  It's great at breaking down the theories of colouring, lighting etc and has great videos showing the process.  I'd rave about it some more but it's not like Im getting a commission or anything.

The colouring on this is better than the one I did for the Zombies Hi Steph print, but only marginally.  I have a long way to go if I want to start colouring my own work professionally.  Which, again, isn't really an aspiration of mine (there are far too many talented colourists out there who do it better than me and actually enjoy it too) but it's something I am going to have to tackle from time to time, so better stop crying and go for it.

Okay, that's my quota for tangents filled for the day, so I'll just post the final image up and we can both be on our way:


Will Sliney was fairly happy with the piece when he saw it on twitter:
And Seamus has come around regarding his stance on the imagery for Cú Chulainn:


Don't we all love a happy ending?

You read all the way to here?  You must be pretty bored at work.

All the best,
Ruairí

No comments:

Post a Comment